Word count: 254
When used in the business sense and applied to the workplace, kaizen refers to activities that continuously improve all functions and involve all employees from the CEO to the assembly line workers.
the goal is to do better work, not just more work
- Standardize: Come up with a process for a specific activity that’s repeatable and organized.
- Measure: Examine whether the process is efficient using quantifiable data, like time to complete, hours spent, etc.
- Compare: Compare your measurements against your requirements. Does this process save time? Does it take too much time? Does it accomplish the desired result?
- Innovate: Search for new, better ways to do the same work or achieve the same result. Look for smarter, more efficient routes to the same end-goal that boost productivity.
- Standardize: Create repeatable, defined processes for those new, more efficient activities.
- Repeat: Go back to step one and start again.